Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Warm Cinnamon Swirls

I LOVE cinnamon rolls and pretty much anything with cinnamon in it! I really want to try making cinnamon rolls from scratch, but I had some extra crescent roll dough that I had to use, so I opted to make it this way instead.  They're 1 Weight Watcher Plus point each if you follow the recipe. Here's the blog I got the recipe from.

The required ingredients:

8 ounces reduced-fat crescent rolls (I used normal crescent rolls, Walmart brand*)
4 teaspoons sugar-cinnamon
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons skim milk (I used 2%)

 *NOTE: Don't use Pilsbury brand rolls because they have trans fat in them even though it says 0g on the label.  It has partially hydrogenated oil listed as an ingredient which means that there's <.5g of trans fat per serving, but not really 0g.  Sorry I'm going off on such a tangent, but I'm a biology major/chemistry minor and let me tell you, you DO NOT want to put any amount of trans fat into your body!  It's unnatural and clogs your arteries.  Not worth it).  

Anyways, mine probably weren't 1 point each since I used normal crescent roll dough and 2% milk, but I'm not on Weight Watchers so it doesn't really matter to me.   Personally I don't like anything that says "reduced fat," "sugar-free," etc. because that means they took away one ingredient and added something else to make it still taste good (i.e. reduced fat usually means that they took away some of the fat and added more sugar).

And the directions are as follows:

Unroll crescent dough; separate into 2 pieces. Press perforations together and sprinkle each with half of the sugar-cinnamon. 


Roll up 1 section, starting on long side and press firmly to eliminate air pockets. Pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 10 slices (For a total of 20 slices)


Place rolls on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees. 

I baked mine for 10 minutes:


Once golden brown remove from oven. Whisk together powdered sugar and milk. Pour over warm rolls.


The final product.  How cute are these? 


They turned out smaller than I expected (must be why they are only 1 point), but they were tasty.  They weren't exactly "cinnamon rolls" since they had that crescent roll taste and weren't as soft as your typical roll, but overall the taste was good.  It's definitely easier than cinnamon rolls from scratch and healthier than the cinnamon rolls you buy pre-made in metal rolls (those have trans fat too!)  Plus, they're perfectly portioned so you don't go overboard on dessert, and would be great for a party snack or dessert.  

Bottom Line: LOVED IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment