Monday, February 4, 2013

Copycat Starbucks Passion Tea Lemonade

Passion Tea Lemonades are hands-down my favorite drink at Starbucks.  I have made them at home before, but since I didn't know the exact tea to lemonade ratio, they did not taste the same. I was hoping that this recipe would solve this dilemma for me..


Here's the blog the recipe came from.

The Directions:

Each box of tea comes with 20 tea bags. Put them all in the bottom of a gallon pitcher. Then boil 1 gallon of water in a pot on the stove.  Once your water boils, pour it over your tea bags. Let it steep for 7-10 minutes. The longer it steeps, the stronger the flavor.  Once it is finished steeping, use one spoon to scoop out one bag at a time.Since the water is still hot, I use a second spoon to squeeze out more flavor from each bag before I toss them.  Once you have all your bags removed, you place the pitcher in the fridge for it to cool.

I didn't want to make a whole pitcher so I made a mug of passion tea and put it in the fridge.
 
In order to get the right measurements, I used a starbucks cup. They are selling these re-usable plastic cups right now and I really like mine. Fill your cup with tea to the second line (about 9 oz). Then add your lemonade until you reach the third line (about 3 oz).

You don't really need the Starbucks cup; you just need to know the ratio: 9oz tea to 3oz lemonade.  Gold! 

Here's my passion tea lemonade (don't you love the cup): 


Optional: 
 
When you buy this drink at the store, they pump their "classic syrup" into the drink. It's a clear syrup, so I'm guessing its a basic "simple syrup". To make a simple syrup you just bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil and let cook for a minute or so until the sugar is all dissolved. Let it cool in the fridge and you get a nice sugar syrup. Add this, or any other sweetener you like, to the tea. Adjust it to the sweetness you like.

Personally I think the lemonade has enough sugar in it already, so I don't ever add sweetener to my drink. 

The passion tea I made at home tasted just like the one I order at Starbucks.  Score!  

Bottom Line: LOVED IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment