Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Pancakes

I decided to make pancakes this morning because it is National Pancake Day (that means you can get free pancakes at IHOP today)!  After reading the description of this pin, "METABOLISM INCREASING Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Pancakes ONLY 43 calories each!" I had to repin it and try it!  Low calorie pancakes with one on my favorite things, cinnamon! 

Just look at the nutrition information for this recipe:
Each pancake has: Calories: 43, Fat: .5g, Fiber: .25g, Protein: 1.5g, Carbs: 7g
They are really low-carb and diabetic-friendly!   Is this recipe too good to be true? 


Here's the recipe:

Makes 20 pancakes
(I halved the recipe and got about 8 pancakes)
 
4 oz Unsweetened Apple Sauce (the little cups are 4 oz)
1 cup Almond Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
1  1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
Optional: Maple Syrup- adds only 53 calories per tbsp (I'm not a fan of maple syrup, so I skipped this)


In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon set aside. In a medium bowl combine the milk, apple sauce, eggs and vanilla and whisk well. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix well.

I whisked my wet ingredients than added all the dry ones with out combining them first.  Why dirty more dishes?  


Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes to an hour, it will rise and fluff up a little.

I let my batter sit for about 15 minutes.  I don't know if letting it sit longer makes a big difference-I was hungry and not willing to wait that long!

Heat a griddle or large skillet on medium, spray with cooking spray and using a ladle pour your pancakes, once they bubble all over it is time to flip.

Make sure you put plenty of cooking spray on the griddle because otherwise the pancakes will stick! 


Never squish down only flip once, good pancakes are fluffy because they have been treated with care.

Good Advice!

My stack of pancakes:



These pancakes had a good consistency-they were light and fluffy. They taste like whole-wheat pancakes with less sugar than the store bought variety plus hints of apple and cinnamon.  Personally, I think that they can use some more cinnamon and apple flavor.  My mom tried them and said "you should have added more cinnamon."  When I make them again, I'm going to double the cinnamon and maybe even add more applesauce and sugar.


Bottom Line: LOVED IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment