Friday, February 8, 2013

Pineapple Angel Food Cake

2 ingredient Angel Food Cake sounds amazing!  Seems like it would be a fast, easy dessert that would be great to bring to a party and leave the other guests asking for the the recipe.


Here's the description of the pin:

Take a box of Angel Food Cake mix & combine it with a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple in its own juice. When you do this, something magical happens. The mixture starts to froth & it turns into an amazingly airy, fluffy bowl of deliciousness right before your eyes. Simply pour it into a 9 x 13 cake pan & bake 350 for 30 minutes.

When I clicked on the link, it took me to http://www.dawnsquiltcorner.com/ and I couldn't find the original blog post, so I just had the pin description to go off of.  

So I got the ingredients:



And mixed them together:


Light and frothy just like the pin said!  Actually a little too frothy...


It kept expanding so I put some on the mixture into small loaf pans:


And baked it.  It actually started to shrink as soon as I put it in the oven.  I guess I didn't need to separate the mix.  I left mine in for 28 minutes:


Probably didn't need that much time. 

Here's a slice:




I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but the cake is very DENSE!  It tastes like angel food cake, but it's weird because it's not the consistency you would expect.  It's dense and sort of spongy, not in the same way as regular angel food cake, and has awkward chunks because of the pineapple.  The flavor overall is not bad, the the consistency of it is unappetizing.  My mom, dad, and sister tried it too and did not like it either.  I ended up throwing out the rest of the cake.  Cool idea, but it didn't pan out the way I was hoping it would. 

Bottom Line: NOT WORTH IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment