Sunday, January 6, 2013

Crockpot Apple Cinnnamon Oatmeal

The thing that most enticed me about this post was that I would be able to sleep while my breakfast was cooking!  Almost sounds too good to be true...


Throw 2 sliced apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water on top. Do NOT stir. Cook overnight for 8 - 9 hours on low.

Sounds easy enough.  

The website the pin orginally came from led to a page with the picture above and a title saying:
 slow cooker apple cinnamon oatmeal...cook overnight to wake up to delicious smells and a tasty breakfast!


I used Red Delicious apples because that's what I had at home.  I did exactly as the directions said on the pin, turned my crockpot on low, and went to bed.  

I woke up and went downstairs immediately to check my creation.  It sure did smell good and it was definitely cooked after 8 hours! 

Here's what my oatmeal looked like (sorry it's a little blurry):



And the verdict?  Needs more sugar!  It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't all that good either.  I added about a tablespoon of white sugar to my bowl of oatmeal.  The oatmeal itself was kind of mushy.  Maybe it cooked too long?  

I found a similar recipe that is done over the stove top.  There's NO sugar in that recipe so I'm guessing it'll come out about the same.  Bummer, I really liked the idea of this recipe!

 The Bottom Line: NOT WORTH IT




No comments:

Post a Comment