Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bacon and Broccoli Stuffed Double Baked Potatoes

I found a blog called Lose Weight By Eating, and have been following the author, Audrey, on Pinterest ever since.  She pinned this recipe on Pinterest about a month ago, and I had been dying to try it!   I finally made it last week as a side dish for lunch (I served it with some grilled chicken).




This is what the pin description said:
Bacon and Broccoli Stuffed Double Baked Potatoes- 288 calories.

When you click on the link on the pin, it gives you a suspicious link message :(   I'm not sure why since it worked last week when I printed out the recipe.  Good news, I have the link to the original blog post! :) 

The ingredients for 2 servings:
 
1 large Potato
1 tsp Garlic Oil
1 slice of Thick Cut Bacon chopped (used 2 slices of pre-cooked bacon)
1/2 cup Broccoli heads chopped
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt (used 0% Fage)
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (used a blend of cheddar and jack)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Hot Sauce- optional (I opted not to use any)

The directions: 

Heat oven to 425. Stab the potato a few times with a fork and heat in the microwave for 3-5 minutes until cooked through.

I cooked mine for 5 minutes.
 
In a medium skillet heat the oil on medium high then add the bacon and broccoli and cook until crispy and delicious.

I did all of this in the microwave.  The pre-cooked bacon took 20 seconds and steaming the broccoli took 30 seconds.  Faster and you don't have to add any fat!

Once the potato has cooled enough slice in half, length wise. Using a spoon hollow out the flesh/insides of your potato halves, move 1/2 of the potato’s flesh (you only want 1/2 of the insides, discard the rest) to a small bowl and smash with the back of your spoon or a fork.


Then add the Greek yogurt, the cheese (hold some back for the tops) and the broccoli  bacon mixture, add salt and pepper and a little hot sauce if you like and mix together.

Then fill the hollow halves of the potatoes with the mixture and add the rest of the cheese.

 

Place in the oven for 10 minutes, remove from oven and plate.

I baked mine for 12 minutes since they didn't look crispy enough.  I would have baked them longer but the tops looked browned even though the bottoms didn't seem crispy.

 
The verdict: tasty but not crispy enough.  I think that these would come out better if the hollowed out potatoes were baked without the filling so they actually become crispy.  I'll remember that for next time...

Bottom Line: LOVED IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment