Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Barbecue Chicken

I've been obsessing over pinning crock pot chicken recipes so I figured I would try one of them. This one claimed to be SO EASY to throw together and tastes like something you have spent all day slaving over!


The recipe called for:

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen)
1 lemon, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 20 ounce bottle of BBQ sauce (any brand or flavor you prefer)
1 can of Coca Cola

This is the kind of BBQ sauce I used:


The directions:

 Peel onion and cut into quarters.  Cut lemon into quarters.  Place chicken breasts in crock pot.  Place onion and lemon quarters on top.  Pour in entire bottle of BBQ Sauce and entire can of Coke.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

This is what my crockpot looked like after piling in all the ingredients.  I ended up moving it to a bigger crock pot because it was so full.  


I cooked mine for 4 1/2 hours, but my chicken was also frozen pretty solid.

This is what it looked like when it was done:


The sauce was really watery; I'm guessing it's the combination of the chicken being frozen and releasing excess water while thawing, and the cola .

And the chicken breast alone:



The verdict? It was good; tastes a little sweeter than normal BBQ with a hint of lemon.  My dad who is one of the pickiest people you will ever meet even ate it! (To be fair, I didn't tell him what's in it because he doesn't like trying new flavor combinations.  Picky, right?)  I wouldn't say that it tasted like something you spent all day slaving over, but it was easy and tasty.  

I had a lot of leftovers so I put them in tupperware and spooned some of the sauce and onions on top of the chicken.  Guess what? The chicken actually tasted better the next day!  I used it to make a BBQ chicken salad, and it was awesome.  

Next time I make it, I'm thinking that I'll thaw the chicken, at least partially first, and add some cornstarch so that the resulting sauce is thicker.  

Bottom Line: LOVED IT! 


No comments:

Post a Comment