Friday, March 29, 2013

Oven Roasted Broccoli

I eat broccoli all the time as a side dish with my dinner.  I usually steam it in the microwave and eat it plain or with a little cheese on top.  Boring, right?  So when I saw this pin I was excited to try something new with my Costco-sized bag of broccoli!  


The pin description (from Foodie):

This is our favorite way to eat broccoli of all time! My husband says he would rather eat this than fries. I put a few Tbsp of olive oil in a ziploc with some salt and pepper and the broccoli and shake. Then spread on a cookie sheet and spread minced garlic over it and roast at 425 deg F for 20-25 minutes.

I wish that there were more specific measurements.   I used 3 cups of broccoli, 3 T oil and 2 cloves of garlic.

Here's the broccoli after shaking it in the bag:




And before I popped it into the oven:


This is after baking for 25 minutes:


Both me and my mom loved the flavor of this broccoli, but agreed that I put too much olive oil and not enough minced garlic.  So next time I will add less oil, probably 2 Tbsp and double the garlic (4 cloves).  I don't think this is better than fries, but definitely beats the same old, plain, steamed broccoli I generally eat. I probably won't turn the oven on to make this side dish, but it's definitely worth it if the oven is already on for dinner.

Bottom Line: LOVED IT! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish. Having left over roasted vegetable soup for dinner tonight and since hubby insisted on turning the oven on for garlic bread I decided to throw some Broccoli in as well. Can't wait to try it. Steamed broccoli does get pretty old but it's such a great source of calcium for a vegetarian that I eat it anyway.

    ReplyDelete