Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chocolate Mudslide Oatmeal

I was seriously getting tired of the same old breakfasts every single morning before work so I wanted to try something that was fast and easy and most importantly different.

The pin description: So many oatmeal recipes, all healthy!  In fact, there are 19 recipes, and all of them sound appetizing.  I decided to try the chocolate mudslide oatmeal because it reminded me of how we used to put Nesquik in our Malt-O-Meal when I was a child.  

The required ingredients:
  • 40 grams uncooked oats (1 cup)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup water or milk of choice  I used 2% milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice I used 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
  • optional: Amazing Grass chocolate superfood powder I didn't have this so I skipped it.
  • 5 grams (1tbsp) Special Dark cocoa powder (It has a completely different taste from regular cocoa powder, so if you use regular, you might have to add a lot more for the chocolatey taste) I used regular cocoa powder and 1 Tbsp was enough!
  • I added 1 Tbsp chia seeds to add extra fiber
Here's what I used: 


The directions:

1. Cook up a serving of oatmeal with the water and/or milk and a little salt
2. Add the vanilla, cocoa, and more salt and sweetener to taste.
3. Optional: Right before I eat this mess, I sprinkle on about 1/2 a little packet of the chocolate super food powder.  Then I drizzle on about 1/8 cup almond milk.  I don’t stir either of these things in.  I love the unstirred, powdery texture. (I skipped step 3)

And this is how it turned out:

 
I used to LOVE Nesquik in my Malt-O-Meal as a child and this was like 10 times better!  The oatmeal had a good chocolate flavor that made me forget that I was eating oatmeal, but at the same time, it was not too sweet.  It tasted more like dessert than breakfast, and it's healthy!  I couldn't believe how good this was. I ate in all in 2 minutes flat and it has left me craving chocolate oatmeal in the morning.  I'm making this for breakfast tomorrow!   

No comments:

Post a Comment