Sunday, March 17, 2013

Salmon in a Bag

I've been slacking on posting on my blog, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy in the kitchen cooking and baking recipes I've pinned!  Look for several new blog posts this week :)

This is one of the first pins I ever pinned on Pinterest, and I figured it was about time to try it.  The description:  Salmon in a Bag - Tin foil, lemon, salmon, butter, S&P– Wrap it up tightly and bake for 25 minutes at 300°. Seems fast and easy.


I clicked the link that was on the pin to see if there were more detailed instructions. Nope.  Same exact sentence plus: surprisingly simple for the flavour it packs!

And: 
NOTE: A lot of questions have been raised regarding the temperature I cooked this salmon in which was only a suggestion because it worked for me. A few people have suggested raising the temperature to 350° – whatever worked for you I hope you enjoyed it!

So I assembled my salmon in a bag:


And wrapped it:


I put it in the oven for 25 minutes and it wasn't cooked; the top was actually completely raw.  I did notice that it smelled wonderfully of lemons.  I put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes and after a total cooking time of 35 minutes I got this:


I know it's not really pretty, and you can see where I cut into the middle to make sure it was cooked all the way through. 

The salmon wasn't that lemony.  Some parts of the salmon tasted more like lemon than the others.  I ended up squeezing some juice from the lemons on top of the salmon to give it more flavor.  That made it taste better, and reminded me of the lemon salmon I already make:  

Marinate the salmon in fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper (sometimes I add capers) for 10 minutes then bake at 350° in the oven for 8-10 minutes on a pan sprayed with olive oil.

So much faster and healthier because there's no butter.  I'm going to stick to my method of cooking salmon!  

Bottom Line: NOT WORTH IT!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Lemon salmon sounds wonderful! I'll try it your way...the bag seems like it wouldn't work too well, It might over a fire, like a boy scout dinner.

    ReplyDelete