Monday, December 3, 2012

Crustless Mini Spinach Quiches

I'm not a fan of any kind of crust, so when I found a recipe for crustless mini quiches, I knew I had to try it.


The Original Recipe

The recipe called for:

8 eggs
1/4 cup cream
1 10-oz package spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of crumbled feta cheese

I opted to use fresh spinach over the frozen variety.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425. Mix together eggs, cream, garlic, nutmeg and salt. Add spinach. Grease mini muffin tins. Add about a teaspoon of feta cheese to each cup, and fill with egg/spinach mixture about 2/3 of the way to the top.

The recipe said that it would make 3 1/2 dozen quiches. I got 3 dozen exactly.

Here are my quiches before baking them:


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. You may want to finish under the broiler for a bit to brown the tops a little.

I baked mine for about 20 minutes. This is what they looked like:


And after taking them out of the pan:


They tasted good, but had a spongy texture. Maybe because I over-cooked them? I set the timer for 20 minutes because the original recipe said 25-30 minutes, but I think they were done sooner. They reminded me more of a breakfast item than a quiche that I would serve at a cocktail party. The miniature quiches you can buy in the freezer section at Costco are ten times better!

Bottom Line: NOT WORTH IT

No comments:

Post a Comment